Skip to main content

12 Step and Victimhood



Just to run something by you and be seen.  I get a lot out of the fellowship from 12 step meetings but in my heart and gut something doesn’t feel right. They want me to admit that I have a disease and I’m powerless over it. I don’t really believe that. Feels like victimhood.

Thoughts?

Every faith tradition, sacred text, healing modality and 12 step teaching all have elements that can be translated as the same.  It’s either about love or fear, the two powers that either heal or destroy.
If you take a little time to translate the meaning then you will see they all are saying the same things.  Truth really is truth just as electricity always works the same.  Sometimes what stumps us is the meaning of words that have been used in a harmful way towards us and we reject the truth that is in that system, modality or teaching. 

Twelve step programs do have a languaging that is hard for some of us in Loving-groups.  We do not believe we are powerless over our choices and actions.  We believe the brain is neuroplastic and we can change.         
  
But let’s look deeper with a new lens on the topic.

 So you have a “disease”.  Isn’t that true?  We are in dis-ease.  Pain does that to us.  As we do something unhealthy to diminish our pain repetitively we grow into an addiction, a thing that fires our brain for a moment of “ease”.  So yes pain and fear is a disease. 

And it could be that since we spent 50 years doing “the thing” that our brain will always be “sensitive” to that particular behavior. That part of our brain just is so used up and worn out that it will never overcome it completely.  Thus needing to stay away from the bar for the alcoholic.  Funny thing to note too, that once we begin to heal, the bar isn’t attractive anymore anyway. 

So we know we have “dis-ease”.  And we know that our brains have been so overstimulated that the addiction just doesn’t work anymore.  We can’t get the same hit anymore from the same release from our pain.  So what comes next? Facing that truth?  Leaning into love?

So are we powerless?  In a sense yes, we are.  In unconscious pain we are powerless.  This is the ultimate state of disconnection from love which is fear and pain, which started our addiction of easing the pain in the first place. 

So when we are in fear, we act out and it becomes like a demon taking us over.  Until we render ourselves truthful at that place filled with fear and give ourselves over to love, god, universal support, we are powerless.  We cannot heal in pain and fear.

So alone and afraid you are powerless.  In love you are powerful.  Getting to happiness is a journey and must first be met with “alone I am powerless in my addiction”, fear will never get me there.  So yes, admitting “we are powerless alone and in fear” is a good place to start, the must place to start, but not a good place to camp out for decades. 

It’s a place to say “I give, I cannot do it alone,  I want more” and practice faith which is believing in something better before you have proof of it yourself. 

So I can say I am powerless over my addiction,  ALONE.  But with god (love), 12 step programs, groups, and support I can find my way to making the kinds of choices that will bring happiness into my life.  All truth leads back to the same place.  We need love and connection, without it we are powerless. 

And it’s ok to tell the cold hard truth that I got to the addiction because I didn’t have love and connection.  I am powerless alone but I can change this with faith.  Aren’t we all teaching the same thing? Maybe?  The biggest problem is that some teachers teach dogma that is confusing, teaching literal application and not understanding that standing on how it’s interpreted is not important (fear).  Sometimes we just need a good translator. 

Sharon 

Send your questions to results.roses@cox.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER THREE by Greg Baer

CHAPTER THREE THE THIRD PRINCIPLE OF PARENTING When I’m Angry, I’m Wrong Because of their age and inexperience, children are naturally inconvenient in so many ways: • They’re always spilling stuff, falling down, making messes, and getting involved in all manner of “accidents.” • When they get ready for school, clean their rooms, prepare for bed time, or do anything else involving a time limit, they move at a slow and erratic pace rarely compatible with our own schedules. • They’re often unable to perform even the simplest tasks without help or supervision. • They incessantly make unnecessary noises in a wide range of both volume and pitch. • Frequently they are unable to clearly communicate their needs. • When they do express their needs, they are often insistent and demanding. They have no patience. • Everything they do seems to cost money. When we don’t feel sufficiently loved ourselves, these innumerable inconveniences often become more tha

Spritual Oneness

I am truly one in God with my partner.  There is no separation  between us in the good, bad, or the ugly.  There is so much beauty in the conflict we share.  Sometimes it's cutting, sometimes is slight, and sometimes is just down right stupid.  But the beauty of this dance is while I sit in the midst of chaos of misunderstandings and behaviors driven by perceived pain, I find peace.  I hear a higher calling for my goodness.  I hear the whisper of God every day, telling me that this is releasing me from the pain of my past and is calling me to a higher faith.  I recall 18 years ago Reverend Michelle did a sermon and spoke to my heart and changed my life.  She spoke of duality that is created by the pain in our minds.  She said there is no such thing as good or bad happenings in our lives, but everything has singleness of purpose, everything is for our higher good, God is in everything. She said, "It's not a freight train coming to run you over.  It's light at

Mother's day!

I have seen a life unfold.  I have been the safe keeper of a soul that was never "mine" but God's.  I have learned to love another with all my heart.  I had no idea that when I had my son, that my life would never be the same.  I didn't know that because of you my heart and soul would cry out to be the best I could be.  I was broken and lost, alone and afraid.  I had no idea that having a child could give me the motivation to be the seeker of higher self, to be more so I could give more.  Timothy Shane Stephens Taitano.  You have been my inspiration to be more.  To grow to a place where my sole intention is to learn to love more.  You are why I am who I am now. Some days I see you cry out for more.  You ask me how you can learn to be more present and loving like me.....you are so much more than me.  Just look inside yourself.  The inspiration you gave me is inside you.  It has always been there.  You gave it to me.  You gave me the greatest gift I could ever h