Skip to main content

Saying "I am sorry"

It's inevitable that we will hurt each other.   It's a part of the human experience.  We are not perfect and we will make mistakes that cause others to hurt and other's will hurt us.

This is a real opportunity for us to learn in these moments.  When someone does something to cause us discomfort or pain, we can look at our level of reaction and use this as a learning tool to evaluate our own level of happiness.  If we react really badly then it's a sign that we really are needing more unconditional love in our own life.  We can then look at what we could do differently to gain the fullness we need.

We can also evaluate the other person for signs of fullness or emptiness and gauge how close we should really be with them intimately according to our own capacity to be loving also.  It is an ever fluctuating dynamic but a great tool to "see" ourselves and others and to potentially learn and make better decisions. 

When we hurt someone and feel regret we generally have been taught to apologize. 

Let's take a look at that dynamic.

If we are empty, regret is really the feeling of another person potentially withholding their love from us, having disapproval of our actions and therefore us.  So the traditional apology is for us to get our pain of withdrawal removed.  It is to ask for forgiveness. We are actually wanting something from them.   If we look at it as a "getting" behavior, we can therefore see it as a Me Me Me, self centered action.  Sometimes the other person may not be ready to forgive us.  They still may be processing their feelings.

I see a "unconditional loving apology" in a very different way. It's a gift we give without wanting anything in return.   We can inspire hope in the situation/relationship if we do it correctly, giving a gift instead of asking for something from the other person. 

Since we cannot change what we can't see, we can give hope to the other person (a gift) if we can articulate the following:

Here is what I did, here is the behavior I used:
Here is how I can see it hurt you (be specific in all of these):
Now that I can see it, I can work on changing that behavior.

My son, at seven years old, said to me once, "why do you keep apologizing if you still keep doing it".  That really was profound for me and made me think deeply about what I could do differently.

So without "needing" approval or forgiveness, that the other person may not be ready to give, if ever,  we can give a gift of hope, by telling them what we do see and how we are working to change it.  The gift of hope is given to them and therefore opening up the door for love to gain it's ground again in the relationship. 

So the next time you want to apologize, think it through first.  Who is it really for?

Is it to ease your own pain or bring hope?

Love,

Sharon Winningham, ULLC
602-405-0144

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen up Kid!

There was a pivotal day in the life with my son when I knew I had changed long enough for him to know it.   The dynamic needed to now be equalized.     He kept wanting to take it out on me. I got in his face.   (with confidence)    I told him this:      “You don’t get to beat me up forever and be happy.   Learning to love another will make you happy and like it or not there will be things that you will never like about me and that is just tough.   I will make mistakes.   But one thing you know for sure is that I will always try.   So you were victimized.   You don’t get to act like a victim and punish me the rest of your life. If you want to do that, then we won’t have a relationship at all.   I am human and will make mistakes. I am not going to walk on eggshells anymore.”   He got it.   He grew up and learned to love. We cannot teach them to just feel loved.   We have ...

Spritual Oneness

I am truly one in God with my partner.  There is no separation  between us in the good, bad, or the ugly.  There is so much beauty in the conflict we share.  Sometimes it's cutting, sometimes is slight, and sometimes is just down right stupid.  But the beauty of this dance is while I sit in the midst of chaos of misunderstandings and behaviors driven by perceived pain, I find peace.  I hear a higher calling for my goodness.  I hear the whisper of God every day, telling me that this is releasing me from the pain of my past and is calling me to a higher faith.  I recall 18 years ago Reverend Michelle did a sermon and spoke to my heart and changed my life.  She spoke of duality that is created by the pain in our minds.  She said there is no such thing as good or bad happenings in our lives, but everything has singleness of purpose, everything is for our higher good, God is in everything. She said, "It's not a freight train coming ...

CHAPTER THREE by Greg Baer

CHAPTER THREE THE THIRD PRINCIPLE OF PARENTING When I’m Angry, I’m Wrong Because of their age and inexperience, children are naturally inconvenient in so many ways: • They’re always spilling stuff, falling down, making messes, and getting involved in all manner of “accidents.” • When they get ready for school, clean their rooms, prepare for bed time, or do anything else involving a time limit, they move at a slow and erratic pace rarely compatible with our own schedules. • They’re often unable to perform even the simplest tasks without help or supervision. • They incessantly make unnecessary noises in a wide range of both volume and pitch. • Frequently they are unable to clearly communicate their needs. • When they do express their needs, they are often insistent and demanding. They have no patience. • Everything they do seems to cost money. When we don’t feel sufficiently loved ourselves, these innumerable inconveniences often become more tha...